celebrating the best chocolate treats
Most of you know I don’t eat commercial chocolate candy as it is laced with far too much white sugar and unhealthy additives. But there are many innovative chocolatiers and chocolate makers who are making delectable handcrafted chocolate treats to enjoy throughout the year. Here are five of my favourites.
chocolatour’s 5 favorite chocolate treats
- dark chocolate enrobed sea salt caramels from Gail Ambrosius Chocolatier of Madison, Wisconsin. One of my very favourite chocolate treats are dark chocolate enrobed sea salt caramels, and Gail Ambrosius of Madison, Wisconsin in the USA makes some of the best I’ve ever had. They are one inch thick, don’t stick to your teeth, and the pure dark chocolate chocolate tastes divine and is deliciously rich without being too sweet. With the primary ingredients being cocoa mass, butter, and cream, you know you’re in the right place. I’ve yet to meet Gail, but her truffles are as good as her sea salt caramels, so I’m sure a trip to Wisconsin is in my cards.
2. dark chocolate turtles. They’re made by many of the top chocolate makers and chocolatiers, and each are slightly different but contain the same primary ingredients: quality dark chocolate, caramel, and pecans. When these are made well, they are addictive. I’ve been captivated by the dark chocolate turtle chocolates (pictured above) made by Decadence Chocolates in my hometown of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. They’re called Lonely Turtles and are among the best I’ve had.
3. infusion chocolate bars with pure, recognizable additions. I’ve loved Norman Love Confections of Florida, USA, since I first discovered them back in 2011 and really enjoy their Black Collection of single origin dark chocolate truffles. But Norman Love Confections also makes some dynamite chocolate bars. My favourite is the milk chocolate Marcona Almond and Pine Nut bar. How fun! And it pairs very nicely with a mid-bodied red wine like Pinot Noir. That’s my kind of Hallowe’en treat!
4. caramel apples. I know it’s not politically correct to offer caramel apples to trick or treaters due to safety reasons. But for adults looking for a fun chocolate or caramel covered apple to enjoy on Hallowe’en or any time during the fall season, you can’t go wrong with the offerings of Carol Widman Candies in Fargo, North Dakota, USA. Carol is so much fun and always has terrific seasonal treats. But I can’t resist her caramel apples.
5. cocoa covered macadamia nuts. I love macadamia nuts and I love pure cocoa and nothing is more addictive than these giant macadamia nuts from the Big Island of Hawaii coated in toffee and dusted in pure Hawaiian cocoa powder. Big Island Candies has a terrific assortment of chocolate treats including a macadamia nut turtle that is truly amazing.
Do you have a favourite chocolate treat that you’d like to tell us about, but are rarely willing to share? 🙂